March Fun in Faribault – An Activity Guide
Looking for something to do during the month of March? There are lots of activities for young and old going on in Faribault and our surrounding communities. Whether you’re just looking to get out of the house, wanting to explore the outdoors, or hoping to find some family fun, there is something for everyone to discover in our local communities!
St. Patrick’s Day will be here before you know it. I will add more restaurant specials or other business deals for the day as I find them.
Jr. History Detectives– Thursday, March 2, 9:00-10:00 AM for Pre-K children and 6:30-7:30 PM for kids ages K-6 at the Steele County Historical Society. The 1917 Fun Day showcased the best of a Steele County winter. Discover where we find snow and cold other than Minnesota, learn how the Inuit-Yupik survived the harsh weather, and experience firsthand how to build an igloo or snow fort.
Winter Farmer’s Market- Thursday, March 2, 4:00-7:00 PM at the Paradise Center for the Arts. A one-day-only “pop up” Winter Farmers Market featuring Fresh eggs, maple syrup, apples, Alaskan salmon, and more!
Star Gazing at the Godsell Observatory– Friday, March 3, 7:00-9:00 PM. FREE! Bring your family to the observatory and look through the enormous telescopes at the night’s sky. This event is dependent on clear skies. Godsell Observatory is located on the campus of Carlton College in Northfield. Check its website to make sure the event is not canceled.
Comedian Scott Long– Friday, March 3, 7:30 PM at the Paradise Center for the Arts. Cost: $17.00 Members, $22 Non-members, $12 Students. A hilarious show for all ages.
Bagels and Birds– Saturday, March 4, 9:30-10:30 AM at River Bend Nature Center. FREE! Join a naturalist and watch the birds from the inside of the nature center. Enjoy a warm cup of coffee and learn about Minnesota’s winter birds.
Dr. Seuss Party– Saturday, March 4, 2:00 – 4:00 PM at Faribault HyVee MarketGrille Back Room. Cost: Cost: $12/child. Recommended: Ages 4—11 years. Come celebrate the birthday of a favored children’s writer with your Faribault Hy-Vee dietitian and hands-on kid-friendly cooking activities. Please register ahead of time at customer service and ask about the dietitian Dr. Seuss event. Class subject to cancel pending number of registrants.
Bethlehem Academy Pancake Breakfast– Sunday, March 5, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM. Cost: $5.00/person, preschoolers eat free. Support BA’s Industrial Arts and Lunch Programs by attending the Pancake Breakfast. The famous BA Lunch Lady cookies will also be available for sale.
Faribault Bridal Fair– Sunday, March 5, 1:00 – 4:00 PM at Faribo West Mall. Cost: FREE. Open to the public. Brides get a free gift for registering before the event. Over 50 vendors sharing what they have to help brides day be perfect. Cake dive provided by Bluebird Cakery.
Tap for Sap! Maple Syrup Workshop– Wednesday, March 8th, 4:00-6:00 PM at River Bend Nature Center. Open to adults. Cost: $5 ($3 for River Bend members). Space is limited; pre-registration is encouraged. Learn about the history and process of making real maple syrup in this hands-on workshop.
Tap for Sap! Maple Syrup Workshop– Saturday, March 11th, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM at River Bend Nature Center. Open to adults. Cost: $5 ($3 for River Bend members). Space is limited; pre-registration is encouraged. Learn about the history and process of making real maple syrup in this hands-on workshop.
Oh for Goodness Snakes!– Saturday, March 11th, 1:00-2:00 PM at River Bend Nature Center. Cost: Cost: $5 individual/$15 family ($3 member/$10 member family). Come meet Fanny, the resident bull snake, and learn all about her special adaptions, and some identifying features of other Minnesota snakes. You’ll even get a chance to touch her, and then stick around to watch her eat lunch!
Owatonna Figure Skating Club presents “Roadtrip”– Saturday, March 11, 2:00 – 4:00 PM, at the Four Seasons Center Steel County Fairgrounds. Cost: Advance General Admission -$7.00, Tickets at the Door $10.00, Kids 5 and Under Free. Come join the Owatonna Figure Skating Club skaters as they cruise around the USA at the 2017 Road Trip Ice Show. Music from our favorites musicians like Alicia Keys, KISS, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blues Brothers, Johnny Cash, Elvis, John Mayer, and many more! Guest appearances include Rochester Theater On Ice, Professional Skater Amy Berglund, Choreographer Heidi Evers, and members of Owatonna Boys Hockey. This is a show that you will not want to miss! Come sing along and enjoy a great performance by Owatonna’s finest skaters!
Horizontal Hero– Saturday, March 11, 7:30 PM at the Paradise Center for the Arts. Cost: $17.00 Members, $22 Non-members, $12 Students. Arena Rock Tribute Concert playing songs from bands like Foreigner, Deep Purple, Bon Jovi, Boston, Led Zeppelin and more.
North American Farm and Power Show– March 16-17, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM and March 18 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM at the Four Seasons Complex and Steele County Fairgrounds. This event showcases product from Agriculture & Forestry, Hand, Machine & Garden Tools, Power, Renewable Energy & Energy Conservation, Horticulture & Floriculture industries.
St. Patricks Day, March 17
- Romantica: A St. Patrick’s Day Celebration– 6:30-9:30 PM at the Steele County Historical Society. Come to listen to the band, Romantica, as they play music from their new release, America. Written by an Irish immigrant, the album blends Irish tones with folk and country music.
- St. Patrick’s Day Celebration– 5:30 – 9:00 PM, at the Church of St. Patrick in Shieldsville. Mass – 6:00 p.m. Mulligan Stew Feed Served in Social Hall 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Free Will Offering Includes: All Homemade Stew, Coleslaw, Irish Soda Bread & Cookies, also Rolls, Coffee & Milk. Irish Harpist at 7:00p.m. * Irish History * Bring your favorite Irish Joke to share! *
- St. Patrick’s Day with Old Country Boys– 8:00 PM, at Boxer’s Bar and Grill.
- St. Patrick’s Winter Green with Ice Bar– 7:00 – 11:00 PM at The Contented Cow, Northfield. Luminaries and Ice Bar by Fironice Experience. Music by Herman and Caroline.
- St. Patrick’s Day Show– Wasted Talent Band performs at 8:30 PM at Castle Rock Bar and Grill, Northfield.
- St. Patrick’s Day Celebration– 4:00 – 10:00 PM at F-Town Brewery. Live music by Mark Ross. Uncle B’s Last Chance BBQ Shack will be making delicious Reuben Sandwich’s along with his other great BBQ. Cream Ale on tap for the celebration. Bring a friend and dress in green!
- Traditional Irish Meal– 3:00 – 6:00 PM at Winjum’s Shady Acres Restaurant and Resort. Corned Beef , Cabbage, Baby Reds,
Rutabagas, & corn muffin $11.95. Bowl of Mulligan Stew with corn muffin $4.95.
- Canvas and Cocktails– 6:00 PM by Wendess Designs at the Owatonna VFW. Come enjoy your favorite cocktails while you have fun learning to paint! The instructions and supplies are included! Paint a Celtic themed tree. (Celtic knot optional) $30 per painter. Be sure to register at the club or prepay online at www.wendess.com
- St. Patrick’s Day Celebration– 11:00 AM – 12:00 midnight at Spare Time Entertainment in Owatonna. Reuben Wraps, Reuben Soup, Irish Cocktails, Green Beer and other fun Irish concoctions in the bar. Frozen T-Shirt Contest at 10:00 PM, Lucky Charms Eating Contest at 11:00 PM, Leprechaun and costume Contest at Midnight.
Faribault Youth/Youthful Center Indoor Garage Sale– Saturday, March 18 from 10:00 AM-5:00pm and Sunday, March 19, from 12:00-5:00 PM at the Faribo West Mall. Proceeds will go to pay for the electricity at the Faribault Youth/Youthful Center.
Canvas and Cocktails– Tuesday, March 21, 6:00-8:00 PM at Warehouse A in Faribault. Cost: $30. Canvas & Cocktails is a great night out for adults! Relax and discover your inner artist in a fun, casual environment and let your creative juice flow! No experience needed! So grab some friends, bring a date, or just come solo. Enjoy a fun-filled, artistic evening learning to paint, step by step, and take home a beautiful piece of artwork of your very own. All supplies are included! Bring only your desire and enthusiasm!
KOWZ & KRUE Home and Recreation Show– March 24-26, Friday 3:00-8:00 PM, Saturday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, and Sunday 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM at the Four Seasons Complex Steele County Fairgrounds.
Drone Flight Night in the Dome– Friday, March 24, 7:30-9:00 PM at Shattuck-St. Marys in the Dane Family Fieldhouse (SSM Sports Complex). Cost: FREE! Learn about drones, try your hand at flying one, and test your skills on an obstacle course. Bring your own drone or borrow one of theirs. Open to the Faribault community (children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult). For more information, contact email@example.com or call 507-333-1562.
March Family Event – Book Week and Festival!– Book week- March 20- March 25, Book Festival on Saturday, March 25, 9:00- 10:30 AM at McKinley Early Childhood Center. Cost: FREE. Book Week- Log onto our McKinley Facebook page starting on March 20th when we read the book of the day LIVE from one of our PreK classrooms! Then download all of the fun activities we will post to do at home based on the book of the day! A new book will be read live each day of book week, and new fun activities to print/do at home! THEN ON Saturday, March 25th join us at McKinely for a fun BOOK FESTIVAL with games, storytelling, and crafts! Open to families with children Birth-age 5. Older siblings always welcome! Please be sure to register for the Book festival at: https://
Gopher State Archaeology Show– Saturday, March 25, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM at the Steele County Historical Society. Cost: FREE. An opportunity to see many of the region’s largest and most complete private collections featuring artifacts personally found from Steele County and around the state. The displays will cover all time periods and a wide range of items from arrowheads to Native American beadwork.
Encounters: Air Cannons– Saturday, March 25, 9:00 AM-12:00 PM at Shattuck-St. Mary’s School. Cost: $15.00. Ages 9-14. Experiment with air pressure and angles as you try to shoot your dart and hit the target. Pre-register for the event at this website.
Pajama Yoga Night– Saturday, March 25, 6:00 – 8:00 PM at Yoga Reset. Ages 6-11. Cost: $20. Jump into your jammies and join instructor, Maggie DeMars for Pajama Yoga Night. Bring your favorite stuffed animal & your favorite pillow. Try some Yoga poses, learn about some essential oils, enjoy tea & cookies, then wrap up the night with a quiet quest!
Wine Tasting Fundraiser– Friday, March 31, 6:00 – 8:00 PM at the Faribault Golf and Country Club. Cost: Tickets are $20 prior to the event and $25 at the door and available at State Bank of Faribault, VPCI-District One Hospital, Creating a Ruckus too, and by Relay for Life committee members! An evening to celebrate the 25th year of Rice County Relay for Life and the Virginia Piper Cancer Institute, District One Hospital Cancer Center with a wine tasting event with wine presented by Haskell’s. There will be wine and beer vendors as well as small bites from local establishments. Proceeds will be shared with the Relay for Life, supporting American Cancer Society efforts, and patient support projects at the Cancer Center.
More Attractions and Ideas for Spring Fun
1. Take your kids to the Faribault Youth Center– Cost: FREE! The Faribault Youth Center is located at the Faribo West Mall and is a place for youth ages 8-18. Play board games, air hockey, and pool, along with internet and TV. Juice, water, soda and snacks available for purchase. Open 4:00-8:00 Monday-Friday, 10:00 AM-5:00 PM Saturdays, and 12:00 to 5:00 pm Sundays.
2. Join the Restoration Club at River Bend Nature Center. Open to adults. Cost: FREE! Wednesdays in March through May, 3:00-5:00 PM. Join River Bend for a restoration-themed work day. Along with River Bend staff, you will head onto the property to remove non-native invasive species and work to restore native habitat. You will learn restoration skills that you can take home and implement on your property.
3. Visit a Historical Society Museum– There are some great local museums nearby where you can learn about the history of our local cities and Minnesota. Check them out!
- Rice County Historical Society– Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM. Cost: Seniors $2.00, Adults $3.00, Ages 12 & under $1.00. Learn about the history of Rice County, including everything from the Native Americans who lived here to Faribault’s founders, and the businesses that have called Faribault home.
- Northfield Historical Society– Cost: $5.00 Adults, $3.00 Seniors (60+), $3.00 Students, Members Free. Open Monday through Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Cost: Tour the First National Bank of Northfield and learn about the day Jesse James robbed the bank. Located at 408 Division Street in Northfield.
- Steele County History Center and Village of Yesteryear– Click here for hours of operation. Cost: Adult Admission: $5, Children: 7 – 16 $3, Six and under: FREE, Group Rates Available, SCHS Members: FREE. The Village of Yesteryear consists of fifteen structures where you can experience what life was like in Owatonna and Steele County at the turn of the 20th Century. The Steele County History Center features rotating exhibits, displays, and educational programming relative to Steele County and Minnesota history.
4. Play at the Dundas Dome– Cost $5/person. Open play on Wednesdays from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and from 2:00 PM-5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Please check the website for updates if changes to the regular schedule are made. Adjustments may be made based on field rentals during those hours.
5. Take a history tour and learn more about Faribault.
- Faribault Woolen Mill– Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Fridays at 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM, Second Saturday of the Month at 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM, Cost: Adults $6, Students (5-18) $3, Kids (0-4) Free. Reservations are required Call 507-412-5534 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot.
- F-Town Brewery– Take a tour to see how beer is made. All tours are first come, first served and are limited to 20 people. Sign up required at the brewery in-person only. The tour is free but you are encouraged to bring one non-perishable food item per person.
- Cathedral of Our Merciful Savior– Cost: FREE but donations to the Cathedral are appreciated! Tour and learn about the history the Cathedral and Bishop Henry Benjamin Whipple. Read about my experience taking the tour. It was amazing! Learn more about the guided tour here. January 4, and 18 at 12:00 PM.
6. Kids can try indoor archery for FREE! Head to the Faribault Archery Club at the Rice County Fairgrounds and try their Saturday Morning Kids Program at 9:00 – 11:00 AM on Saturdays through March for free weekly group archery instruction. They also have equipment available for kids to use. See their Facebook page to make sure the event is not canceled due to special events. There will be no youth program on Saturday, February 4th due to a tournament.
7. Go to a FREE movie on Friday night! Come to the HideAway Coffeehouse and Wine Bar in Northfield for a free movie night. A movie for the kids starts at 5:00 PM and a movie for adults starts at 7:30 PM. Enjoy free popcorn.
8. Get crafty and take a beading class. Come to Glass Garden Beads on Thursday nights and learn to bead with friends or family. You can order a glass of wine from the Cheese Cave or a cup of coffee from the Bluebird Cakery / Coffee Shop and enjoy those options while you work on a unique beading project. Reserve your spot by calling 507-645-0301. There is only room for 6 so make your reservation early.
Looking Forward to Prom?
Cinderellas Closet of Hope is open during the month of March to help girls find the perfect dress! Check out the dates below!