February Fun in Faribault-An Activity Guide
Looking for something to do during the month of February? There’s lots of activities for young and old going on in Faribault and our surrounding communities. Whether you’re just looking to get out of the house, wanting to explore the outdoors, or hoping to find some family fun, there is something for everyone to discover in our local communities!
Valentine’s Day will be here before you know it. I will add more restaurant specials or other business deals for the day as I find them.
Canvas and Coffee– Wednesday, February 1, 9:00-11:00 AM. Join Artist Tracy Giza at her home studio to create a unique painting of your choice. Cost: $30. Enjoy relaxing music, hot coffee & tea, sweet cakes & good company. Treat yourself to a good, creative time. Email Tracy a photograph of what you want to paint and she will edit & sketch the image onto your canvas BEFORE you arrive! Email her to reserve your spot today!.
Jr. History Detectives– Thursday, February 2, 9:00-10:00 AM for Pre-K children and 6:30-7:30 PM for kids ages K-6 at the Steele County Historical Society. Learn about Buzz Kaplan, one of the most famous people from Steele County. Experience Buzz’ trip to Antarctica and Greenland, and learn about use of airplanes in our modern world.
Encounters: Roller Coaster Investigations– Saturday, February 4, 9:00 AM-12:00 PM at Shattuck-St. Mary’s School. Cost: $15.00. Ages 9-14. Work with an engineering teacher to make a roller coaster for a marble. Pre-register for the event at this website.
Bagels and Birds– Saturday, February 4, 9:30-10:30 AM at River Bend Nature Center. FREE! Join a naturalist and watch the birds from the inside of the nature center. Enjoy a warm cup of coffee and learn about Minnesota’s winter birds.
Magician Greg Skillestad– Saturday, February 4, 11:00 AM at the Northfield Public Library. Cost: FREE! This performance is in celebration of “take your child to the library day.” “Greg the Great” began practicing magic at the age of 10. He can levitate, cause members of the audience to float, cut his assistant in half and make animals appear, disappear, reappear and even transform. This family-friendly show features Greg’s blend of comedy and magic with lots of audience interaction.
Candlelight Event– Saturday, February 4, 5:30-8:30 PM at Nerstrand Big Woods State Park. Cost: FREE, but a vehicle permit is required to enter the park. Come and listen to owls and other winter night sounds as you hike along two miles of flat lighted trails. There are also shorter loops suitable for various age/ability levels. Bring a sled to pull young children. There will be an outdoor campfire to roast marshmallows and the Visitor Center will be open. Warm up by the wood stove with hot cider and cookies. The event is co-sponsored by the Friends of Big Woods State Park.
Waseca Sleigh and Cutter Festival– Saturday, February 4-5 and every weekend in February. Events include ice sculpting, bonspiels, bean bag tournaments, ice golf, snowmobile rides and races, dinners and dances. There are too many events to list here! See their website for a complete list. A really amazing festival of events!
Superbowl Specials– Sunday, February 5! Will add more as I find them!
- F-Town Brewery
- L & M Bar and Grill, Dundas
- **LADIES NIGHT** The UN-SUPER BOWL SPA EVENT– Ultra Beach, Waseca
Open Skate– Sunday, February 5, 6:00-8:30 PM at the Faribault Ice Arena, Rice County Fairgrounds. Cost: $4.00 or $15.00/family. Punch card $40.00/12 punches. Skate rentals at the arena for $3.00.
Sweetheart Scotch Doubles Pool Tournament– Friday, February 10, 5:00 PM signup, 5:30 start at Boxer’s Grill and Bar. Cost: $20 per team. Male/Female Bring your own partner. 100% payback with money added based on number of players. First couple rounds may be farmed out in order to keep tournament going. Signups will be accepted in advance with payed entry.
Baskerville: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery– February 10, 11, 16, and 18 at 7:30 PM and February 12 at 2:00 PM at the Paradise Center for the Arts. Cost: $14.00 Members, $16.00 Non-members, $10.00 Children 12 and under. A comedy about everyone’s favorite detective solving his most famous case. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson must crack the mystery of “The Hound of the Baskerville” before a family curse dooms its newest heir.
Waseca Sleigh and Cutter Parade– Saturday, February 11, 12:00 PM (noon). Parade starts from the Waseca County Fairgrounds and runs through downtown Waseca.
Open Skate– Saturday, February 11, 12:30-3:30 PM at the Faribault Ice Arena, Rice County Fairgrounds. Cost: $4.00 or $15.00/family. Punch card $40.00/12 punches. Skate rentals at the arena for $3.00.
Sweet Heart Open House- Saturday, February 11, 3:00-6:00 PM at F-Town Brewery. Treat your sweetheart to an afternoon of shopping while enjoying a beer or non-alcoholic beverage. The following vendors will on site to help with your Valentine’s needs: LuLaRoe, Thirty-One, PartyLite, Paparazzi Jewelry, Tastefully Simple ,Jamberry Nails, Facials by Rebecca from Rodan+Fields. Also make a Valentine’s card with Tina. All materials provided. The first one is free and $2 for each one after.
Sweetheart Dart Tournament– Saturday, February 11, 6:00 PM signup, start at 7:00 PM at Boxer’s Grill and Bar. Cost: $10.00 per person.
Pajama Yoga Night– Saturday, February 11, 6:00 – 8:00 PM at Yoga Reset. Ages 6-11. Cost: $20. Jump into your jammies and join instructor, Maggie DeMars for Pajama Yoga Night. Bring your favorite stuffed animal & your favorite pillow. Try some Yoga poses, learn about some essential oils, enjoy tea & cookies, then wrap up the night with a quiet quest!
Candlelight Valentine’s Walk– Saturday, February 11th, 2017, 6:30-8:00 PM at River Bend Nature Center. Open to all ages. Cost: $10 ($8 for River Bend members). Save money by Pre-registering by Saturday, February 4th. Cost: $8 ($6 for River Bend members). Grab your sweetheart, and join a naturalist for a special Valentine’s walk around the nature center. Wear snowshoes or boots, and bundle-up! You’ll follow 1-mile of trail illuminated by candlelight, and then warm up by the fire with a marshmallow roast. *Note: Your sweetheart can be anyone you care about, this walk is not reserved for romantic partners!
Candlelight Ski/Snowshoe Hike– Saturday, February 11, 5:00– 8:00 PM at Rice Lake State Park by Owatonna. Cost: Free, but all vehicles entering the park need a vehicle permit, which can be purchased at the office. Come and ski, snowshoe, or hike the beautiful candlelit trails at Rice Lake State Park. The 1/2 mile and 1 mile trails take you through the woods and along Rice Lake’s shoreline. Warm up by the bonfire or at the wood stove in the warming shelter. Enjoy a treat and hot beverages. Snowshoes will be available for rent in the park office.
The Hearts Gala Benefiting Ruth’s House– February 11, 6:00-9:00 PM at the American Legion Hall. Cost: tickets are $60/person or $600/table for a table seating up to 10 people. Ruth’s House serves women and children who are in need of a safe and supporting environment. The house is in need of many repairs, including replacing the roof, repairing the ceilings, installing new carpet, updating the sprinkler system and redoing the concrete step.
Iris Pancake Breakfast and Bingo Bash– Sunday, February 12, 8:00 AM-4:00 PM. Infants Remembered In Silence is Celebrating TWO Anniversaries! 2017 is the 30th Anniversary of IRIS org. and the 20th Anniversary of the IRIS Pancake Breakfast and Bingo Bash! Breakfast Served: 8 am – 12 noon. BINGO: 1 pm – approx. 3:30 pm (All ages welcome including children – Cash Prizes Only with 2 – $500 Cover All Games). Bake Sale from 8 am – until sold out. Silent Auction from 8 am – until Bingo break around 3 pm. To donate silent auction items or to volunteer, contact IRIS.
Father Daughter Dance– Sunday, February 12, 3:00-5:00 PM at the Faribault Community Center. For girls up to age 12 and the special man in their lives. Cost: $18.00 for father/daughter couple ($6.00 each additional child). Dress is semi-formal. Must pre-register by February 10.
Mother/Daughter Yoga– Sunday, February 12, 4:00 5:15 PM at Yoga Reset. Cost $15.00. A fun bonding night for mothers and daughters (ages 5-10 years). Participants will warm up as a group and then break out into partner poses that will take some teamwork. They will wrap up with a relaxation to end the night. Space available for 6 pairs. Instructor: Maggie DeMars.
Open Skate– Sunday, February 12, 6:00-8:30 PM at the Faribault Ice Arena, Rice County Fairgrounds. Cost: $4.00 or $15.00/family. Punch card $40.00/12 punches. Skate rentals at the arena for $3.00.
Valentine’s Day Deals
Check out these links to area restaurant specials on Valentine’s Day. I’ll add more as I find them.
- Winjums Shady Acres Restaurant and Resort
- The Kernal Restaurant in Owatonna
- Torey’s Restaurant & Bar in Owatonna
- Plaza Morena in Owatonna
- Don Juan Cantina and Grill in Owatonna
- Bluebird Cakery in Faribault
The Language of Love Candlelight Tour– Tuesday, February 14, 5:30-9:00 PM at the Steele County Historical Society Dunnell House. Cost: $35.00. Bring your Valentine and experience the Dunnell House by candlelight. Each guest receives complimentary appetizers and a bottle of champagne. Included in the evening is a self-guided tour of the Wedding Traditions of Steele County exhibit. A cash bar will also be available. Register at this website.
Lost in Woodsocket (movie)– Wednesday, February 15, 7:00 PM at the Paradise Center for the Arts. Cost: FREE! The movie explores the process of recovery from addiction. Sponsored by the Rice County Chemical Health Coalition, Faribault Park and Rec, and the Paradise Center for the Arts.
February Read-a-thon– Friday, February 17, 2:00-4:00 PM at Buckham Library. Come in your PJ’s or comfy clothes and for the 2nd annual read-a-thon. Bring stuffed animals, blankets, or pillows and read in the Great Hall of the library. Children ages 6 and under must be accompanied by an adult caregiver.
Gardening in the Winter- Saturday, February 18, 9:00 AM at the Indoor Gardening Store, downtown, Faribault. Cost: $6.00. Learn about indoor gardening, including hydroponic gardening, organic fertilizers, reverse osmosis, special lighting, and ozonaters. Instructor: Pat Kline. Contact the Faribault Park and Rec for more information.
Open Skate– Saturday, February 18, 12:30-3:30 PM at the Faribault Ice Arena, Rice County Fairgrounds. Cost: FREE with Canned Food Donation.
Open Skate– Sunday, February 19, 6:00-8:30 PM at the Faribault Ice Arena, Rice County Fairgrounds. Cost: $4.00 or $15.00/family. Punch card $40.00/12 punches. Skate rentals at the arena for $3.00.
Drone Flight Night in the Dome– Sunday, February 19, 3:00-4:30 PM at Shattuck-St. Marys in the Dane Family Fieldhouse (SSM Sports Complex). Cost: FREE! Learn about drones, try your hand at flying one, and test your skills on an obstacle course. Bring your own drone or borrow one of theirs. Open to the Faribault community (children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult). For more information, contact email@example.com or call 507-333-1562.
Family Movie Night– Monday, February 20, 5:30-7:30 at the Village Theater in downtown Faribault. Cost: FREE! Hosted by McKinley Early Childhood Center. Come to see the new Peanut’s movie. For families with children Birth-age 5 (older siblings welcome). Be sure to register for this event at https://
Cupcakes and Canvas– Monday, February 20, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM at Bluebird Cakery. Join Camille McCarthy with Gallery on the Go with Cam’s Creations to create a painting on canvas in this monthly event. Please reserve your spot by calling 507-369-4567. Cost: $30 for Adults (includes a delicious cupcake) and $50 for Adult+Youth (ages 7-13) (includes 2 delicious cupcakes).
Canvas and Cocktails– Tuesday, February 21, 6:00-8:00 PM at Warehouse A in Faribault. Cost: $30. Canvas & Cocktails is a great night out for adults! Relax and discover your inner artist in a fun, casual environment and let your creative juice flow! No experience needed! So grab some friends, bring a date, or just come solo. Enjoy a fun-filled, artistic evening learning to paint, step by step, and take home a beautiful piece of artwork of your very own. All supplies are included! Bring only your desire and enthusiasm!
Martin Zellar– Friday, February 24, 7:30 PM at the Paradise Center for the Arts. Cost: Member $20.00, Non-Member $25.00, Student: $15.00. Martin Zellar, front man for the Gear Daddies, will perform an acoustic guitar show.
2017 Charity Ice Golf– February 25, 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM at Winjum’s Shady Acres Restaurant and Resort. This year’s event will benefit the Bill Sietsema family. Dress up as your favorite superhero to honor the strength and power it takes to fight cancer. Cost $25.00 per golfer. 9 Hole Course – Best Ball. Tee times are at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm
Items needed: One golf club, a tennis ball or 2 and beverage of your choice for on the course. If you have questions on registering or would like to volunteer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration is online at:
Open Skate– Sunday, February 26, 6:00-8:30 PM at the Faribault Ice Arena, Rice County Fairgrounds. Cost: $4.00 or $15.00/family. Punch card $40.00/12 punches. Skate rentals at the arena for $3.00.
More Attractions and Ideas for Winter Fun
1. Take your kids to the Faribault Youth Center– Cost: FREE! The Faribault Youth Center is located at the Faribo West Mall and is a place for youth ages 8-18. Play board games, air hockey, and pool, along with internet and TV. Juice, water, soda and snacks available for purchase. Open 4:00-8:00 Monday-Friday, 10:00 AM-5:00 PM Saturdays, and 12:00 to 5:00 pm Sundays.
3. Visit a Historical Society Museum– There are some great local museums nearby where you can learn about the history of our local cities and Minnesota. Check them out!
- Rice County Historical Society- Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM. Cost: Seniors $2.00, Adults $3.00, Ages 12 & under $1.00. Learn about the history of Rice County, including everything from the Native Americans who lived here to Faribault’s founders, and the businesses that have called Faribault home.
- Northfield Historical Society– Cost: $5.00 Adults, $3.00 Seniors (60+), $3.00 Students, Members Free. Open Monday through Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Cost: Tour the First National Bank of Northfield and learn about the day Jesse James robbed the bank. Located at 408 Division Street in Northfield.
4. Play at the Dundas Dome– Cost $5/person. Open play on Wednesdays from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and from 2:00 PM-5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Please check the website for updates if changes to the regular schedule are made. Adjustments may be made based on field rentals during those hours.
5. Take a history tour and learn more about Faribault.
- Faribault Woolen Mill– Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Fridays at 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM, Second Saturday of the Month at 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM, Cost: Adults $6, Students (5-18) $3, Kids (0-4) Free. Reservations are required Call 507-412-5534 or email email@example.com to reserve your spot.
- F-Town Brewery– Take a tour to see how beer is made. All tours are first come, first served and are limited to 20 people. Sign up required at the brewery in-person only. The tour is free but you are encouraged to bring one nonperishable food item per person.
- Cathedral of Our Merciful Savior– Cost: FREE but donations to the Cathedral are appreciated! Tour and learn about the history the Cathedral and Bishop Henry Benjamin Whipple. Read about my experience taking the tour. It was amazing! Learn more about the guided tour here. January 4, and 18 at 12:00 PM.
6. Kids can try indoor archery for FREE! Head to the Faribault Archery Club at the Rice County Fairgrounds and try their Saturday Morning Kids Program at 9:00 – 11:00 AM on Saturdays through March for free weekly group archery instruction. They also have equipment available for kids to use. See their Facebook page to make sure the event is not canceled due to special events. There will be no youth program on Saturday, February 4th due to a tournament.
7. Go to a FREE movie on Friday night! Come to the HideAway Coffeehouse and Wine Bar in Northfield for a free movie night. A movie for the kids starts at 5:00 PM and a movie for adults starts at 7:30 PM. Enjoy free popcorn.
8. Get crafty and take a beading class. Come to Glass Garden Beads on Thursday nights and learn to bead with friends or family. You can order a glass of wine from the Cheese Cave or a cup of coffee from the Bluebird Cakery / Coffee Shop and enjoy those options while you work on a unique beading project. Reserve your spot by calling 507-645-0301. There is only room for 6 so make your reservation early.
Looking Forward to Prom?
Cinderellas Closet of Hope is open during the month of February! Check out the dates below!
Have a great month!