January Fun in Faribault -An Activity Guide
Looking for something to do during the month of January? There’s lots of activities for young and old going on in Faribault and our surrounding communities. Whether you’re just looking to get out of the house, wanting to explore the outdoors, or hoping to find some family fun, there is something for everyone to discover in our local communities!
Updated with more events! 1/2/17, 1/6/17, 1/19/17
New Year’s Snow Shoe Hike– Sunday, January 1, 2017, 10:00-11:00am at River Bend Nature Center. Open to all ages. Cost: Pay what you can, donation jar will be available at the program. No registration is needed. Join one of the naturalists for a winter walk. Wear snowshoes or boots, and bundle up to take a scenic one-mile stroll.
Open Skate– Sunday, January 1, 6:00-8:30 PM at the Faribault Ice Arena, Rice County Fairgrounds. Cost: $4.00 or $15.00/family. Punch card $40.00/12 punches. Skate rentals at the arena for $3.00.
Hot Reads for Cold Nights KICKOFF– Tuesday, January 3, 9:00 AM-12:00 PM at Faribault Buckham Library. FREE! Come to the library for the kick-off event to celebrate the start of the 2017 Hot Reads for Cold Nights reading reward program for adults. They will be giving out fresh, hot Caribou Coffee coffee while supplies last!
Youth and Family Movie Night– Tuesday, January 3, 6:00-7:30PM at the Faribault Buckham Library. FREE! Come to the Youth Activity Area for the family-friendly movie Space Jam. This movie is rated PG and has a run time of 87 minutes. Everyone is welcome. Children under the age of 8 must have an adult present.
Star Gazing at the Godsell Observatory– Friday, January 6, 7:00-9:00 PM. FREE! Bring your family to the observatory and look through the its enormous telescopes at the night’s sky. This event is dependent on clear skies. Godsell Observatory is located on the campus of Carlton College in Northfield. Check its website to make sure the event is not cancelled.
Family Free Throw Contest– Saturday, January 7, 1:00 PM. FREE! Get the family together and head to the Community Center and see how many free throws you can make. Top finishers in each category get a trophy. See the Buckham Bulletin for information on each category.
Murphy Brothers Band– Saturday, January 7, 7:30 PM at the Paradise Center for the Arts. Cost: $12 Members, $15 Non-members. A classic guitar rock band that will entertain you with great songs from artists such as the Allman Brothers Band and The Eagles.
Bagels and Birds– Saturday, January 7, 9:30-10:30 AM at River Bend Nature Center. FREE! Join a naturalist and watch the birds from the inside of the nature center. Enjoy a warm cup of coffee and learn about Minnesota’s winter birds.
Omelet Breakfast– Sunday, January 8, 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, at the American Legion Hall. Cost: Adults $9:00, Children $5.00. Proceeds benefit the Faribault Emeralds Dance Team.
Open Skate– Sunday, January 8, 6:00-8:30 PM at the Faribault Ice Arena, Rice County Fairgrounds. Cost: $4.00 or $15.00/family. Punch card $40.00/12 punches. Skate rentals at the arena for $3.00.
Intro to Essential Oils– Wednesday, January 11, 6:45-8:00 PM at Yoga Reset. Cost: $18.00 Essential Oils have been used for thousands of years as man’s medicine. Come discover and learn about the profound benefits of essential oils and other natural products. Registration on website. Instructor, Tracy Patterson.
Full Moon Walk– Friday, January 13, 6:30-8:00 PM at River bend Nature Center. Cost: Cost: Members $3.00 or $10.00/family, Non-members $5.00 or $15.00/family. Meet at the Interpretive Center and explore River Bend after dark with the moonlight and naturalist as your guide. Dress warm.
Drone Flight Night– Friday, January 13, 7:30-9 PM at Shattuck-St. Marys in the Dane Family Fieldhouse (SSM Sports Complex). Cost: FREE! Learn about drones, try your hand at flying one, and test your skills on an obstacle course. Bring your own drone or borrow one of theirs. Open to the Faribault community (children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult). For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 507-333-1562.
Encounters: Electricity Investigations– Saturday, January 14, 9:00 AM-12:00 PM at Shattuck-St. Mary’s Upper School Campus. Cost: $15.00. Ages 9-14. Learn about electricity and how it affects light bulbs and electronics. Try your hand at circuit boards and switches. Pre-register for the event at this website.
Acting For Little Ones– Saturday, January 14, 10:00–11:00 AM at the Paradise Center for the Arts. Cost: $10.00 Member/$15.00 Non-member. This class is designed to introduce kids ages 3-7 to the world of theater. Play a variety of acting games to explore imagination and character. Instructor Andy Velishek with Child’s Play Theatre.
Animal Ambassadors– Saturday, January 14, 9:30-11:00 AM at River Bend Nature Center. Cost: Members $3.00 or $10.00/family, Non-members $5.00 or $15.00/family. Join a naturalist and learn about insects, arachnids, amphibians, and reptiles while viewing their live animal ambassadors.
F-town Brewery Snow Crush Fat Tire Bike Race– Saturday, January 14, at River Bend Nature Center. 10:00 AM Bike Rentals, 11:00 Speaker Presentation, Race: 1:00-4:00. Cost: Free to watch. $25.00 to participate. Check out winter biking and cheer on the participants in one of Minnesota’s newest winter sports. Proceeds benefit River Bend Nature Center and Cannon River Offroad Cycling and Trails.
Mother/Daughter Yoga– Sunday, January 15, 4:00 5:15pm at Yoga Reset. Cost $15.00. A fun bonding night for mothers and daughters (ages 5-10 years). Participants will warm up as a group and then break out into partner poses that will take some teamwork. They will wrap up with a relaxation to end the night. Space available for 6 pairs. Instructor: Maggie DeMars.
Open Skate– Sunday, January 15, 6:00-8:30 PM at the Faribault Ice Arena, Rice County Fairgrounds. Cost: $4.00 or $15.00/family. Punch card $40.00/12 punches. Skate rentals at the arena for $3.00.
PreK Family Fun Night– January 18, 6:00-7:30 PM at Faribault Lutheran School. FREE! Open to ANY children who are starting Kindergarten in Fall 2017 and their families! Enjoy a free supper and an evening of family-friendly activities to help your child prepare for Kindergarten. Please RSVP to Erin Banks at email@example.com
Winter Fish Camp– Saturday, January 21, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM at the Washington Rec Center. FREE! An indoor family event that introduces kids and adults to ice fishing. Learn safety on the ice and how to take your family ice fishing.
Open Skate– Sunday, January 21, 12:30-3:30 PM at the Faribault Ice Arena, Rice County Fairgrounds. Cost: FREE with Canned Food Donation.
Winterfest– Saturday, January 21, 1:00-4:00 PM at River Bend Nature Center. Cost: Members $5.00 or $20/family, Non-members $7.00 or $25.00/family. Fun for the whole family! Events include blizzard mini golf, horse-drawn sleigh rides, games, music, s’mores to roast in the campfire, cross-country ski and snowshoe clinics, and more!
Spikefest Volleyball Tournament– Saturday, January 21-22 at the National Guard Armory. Cost $90/team. Saturday: Men’s and Women’s Tourney, Sunday: Co-Rec. Tourney. Benefits the Tommy Allen Youth Scholarship Fund offered through Faribault Park and Rec.
Friends of the Library Breakfast Fundraiser– Sunday, January 22, 8:15 AM-12:15 PM at K.C. Hall. Cost: Adults $8.00 in advance, $9.00 at the door. Kids $4.00. Tickets can be purchased at Buckham Library, Thibodeau Law Office, State Bank of Faribault, Fareway Foods, HyVee, and from the Friends Board Members. Enjoy pancakes, french toast, scrambled eggs, ham, sausage, and more!
Crafting with Craft (beer)– Sunday, January 22, 12:00-3:00 PM at F-Town Brewery. Cost: $25.00. Enjoy a beer while an instructor guides you in making an artistic painting on reclaimed wood. Space is limited and you can register here.
Open Skate– Sunday, January 22, 6:00-8:30 PM at the Faribault Ice Arena, Rice County Fairgrounds. Cost: $4.00 or $15.00/family. Punch card $40.00/12 punches. Skate rentals at the arena for $3.00.
January Frozen Event– Monday, January 23, 5:30-7:30 PM at Faribault Middle School. Join Anna, Elsa, and Olaf for an evening of singing, storytelling and fun. An event for all families with children ages birth-five. Older siblings welcome. Cost: FREE! Please register for the event here.
Waseca American Legion Annual Adult Carnival– Friday, January 27, 4:00-9:00 PM. Bake sale at 4:00 PM, silent auction and games begin at 5:30 PM. Come to the Legion for games, carnival food, prizes as well as a beer & wine tasting event! Sign up for a pie eating contest! All proceeds will go towards bar and roof maintenance of the building. Entertainment in the Lounge will cap off a fun night!
WCCO’s Mike Lynch Stargazing Party– Friday, January 27, 7:00-9:00 PM at River Bend Nature Center. Cost: Ages 3-13 $5.00, Ages 13 and up $10.00. Get tickets at the Community Center or at River Bend the night of the event. View galaxies, constellations and more through telescopes and learn about the night sky.
2nd Annual Winter Weekend Out– January 27-29 in Owatonna. Events include:
- Sledding and Movie at West Hills: Friday, January 27, 1:00—4:30 PM at West Hills. Sledding begins at 1:00, games and crafts in SeniorPlace at 2:00 & movie will begin at 3:00. Kids 7 and younger must be accompanied by an adult. Click here for flyer.
- Fat Tire Bike Demo: Saturday, January 28, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM at Kaplan’s Woods. Straight River Sports is giving you the chance to try biking in the snow! FREE event!
- Adult Ice Bocce Ball Tournament: Saturday, January 28, 2:00 – 5:00 PM at Lake Kohlmier. A fun afternoon of Bocce Ball, Hammerschlagen, and pizza! Bring your own beverage! (must be 18 years or older to attend this event). Click here for flyer and team registration details.
- Rock on Ice & Bonfire: Saturday, January 28, 5:00 – 7:00 PM at Morehouse Park. Bring the family down for ice skating and our 1st Rock on Ice DJ party! Warm up by the bonfire and enjoy FREE smores!
- Family Ice Fishing at Lake Kohlmier: Sunday, January 29, 1:30 – 3:30 PM, Come to Lake Kohlmier for an afternoon of ice fishing. Some equipment and bait will be provided and holes will be drilled for fishing. Come and learn a few new techniques at the educational stations, there will be giveaways for kids that visit each station. Prizes for kids 15 & Under who catch the top 3 longest fish. This is a FREE event for everyone to attend.
Open Skate– Saturday January 28, 12:30-3:30 PM and Sunday, January 29, 6:00-8:30 PM at the Faribault Ice Arena, Rice County Fairgrounds. Cost: $4.00 or $15.00/family. Punch card $40.00/12 punches. Skate rentals at the arena for $3.00.
Buddy Koopman Orchestra– January 28 at 7:30 PM at the Paradise Center for Arts. Cost: Member $15.00, Non Member $20.00, Student: $10.00. Featuring 16 live musicians, live swing dancers and big band swing music that’s been entertaining Faribault and the surrounding area since 1948.
Adoption Fundraiser Rummage Sale– January 28, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM at the Waseca Area Senior Citizens Center. This sale is to raise money to help pay for the fees involved in the Smith Family adopting a baby. Many items available including clothes for all ages, household items, holiday decorations, kitchen items, electronics, plants, antiques and much more. Please share this event. Everything is to help with the adoption no reasonable offer will be turned away.
Spaghetti Supper Benefiting Boy Scout Troop 309– Sunday, January 29, 4:00-6:30 PM at First English Lutheran Church. Cost: $7.00 donation. Children five and under free. Spaghetti, garlic bread, dinner salad, bars and ice cream with toppings will be served.
More Attractions and Ideas for Winter Fun
1. Take your kids to the Faribault Youth Center– Cost: FREE! The Faribault Youth Center is located at the Faribo West Mall and is a place for youth ages 8-18. Play board games, air hockey, and pool, along with internet and TV. Juice, water, soda and snacks available for purchase. Open 4:00-8:00 Monday-Friday, 10:00 AM-5:00 PM Saturdays, and 12:00 to 5:00 pm Sundays.
3. Visit a Historical Society Museum– There are some great local museums nearby where you can learn about the history of our local cities and Minnesota. Check them out!
- Rice County Historical Society- Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM. Cost: Seniors $2.00, Adults $3.00, Ages 12 & under $1.00. Learn about the history of Rice County, including everything from the Native Americans who lived here to Faribault’s founders, and the businesses that have called Faribault home.
- Northfield Historical Society– Cost: $5.00 Adults, $3.00 Seniors (60+), $3.00 Students, Members Free. Open Monday through Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Cost: Tour the First National Bank of Northfield and learn about the day Jesse James robbed the bank. Located at 408 Division Street in Northfield.
4. Play at the Dundas Dome– Cost $5/person. Open play from 2:00 PM-5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Please check the website for updates if changes to the regular schedule are made. Adjustments may be made based on field rentals during those hours.
5. Take a history tour and learn more about Faribault.
- Faribault Woolen Mill– Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Fridays at 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM, Second Saturday of the Month at 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM, Cost: Adults $6, Students (5-18) $3, Kids (0-4) Free. Reservations are required Call 507-412-5534 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot.
- F-Town Brewery– Take a tour to see how beer is made. All tours are first come, first served and are limited to 20 people. Sign up required at the brewery in-person only. The tour is free but you are encouraged to bring one nonperishable food item per person.
- Cathedral of Our Merciful Savior– Cost: FREE but donations to the Cathedral are appreciated! Tour and learn about the history the Cathedral and Bishop Henry Benjamin Whipple. Learn more about the guided tour here. January 4, and 18 at 12:00 PM.
Have a great month!