10 Great Movies Filmed in Minnesota
It’s a wonderful time of year in our house, both because it’s Christmas and because the kids and my husband have time off. One of the activities we love to do over Christmas break is to make a big bowl of popcorn and watch some movies together as a family.
As I was thinking about finding some movies for the holiday break, Minnesota came to mind. We’ve had some pretty amazing films created right here in the land of 10,000 lakes. The films that made my list are almost all family friendly. I say almost because there are a couple that may not be suitable for young children, but you could still watch them with your Grandma. Check out these ten movies filmed in Minnesota. Who knows, maybe you’ll discover your next travel destination!
To see where the scenes of each movie were filmed, click on the film title.
1. Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men (Rated PG-13) Grandma will love these movies, but your kids might not be ready for them! Filmed in Wabasha, Faribault, Redwing, Rockford, Center City, St. Paul, Stillwater, Chanhassen, Afton, Marine on St. Croix, and Minneapolis. The scene below shows the inside of the Poirier building pictured above.
2. Joe Somebody (Rated PG)
Filmed in Crystal, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Plymouth, and Richfield.
Filmed in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Bloomington, New Hope, Coon Rapids, Fridley, Northfield, and Faribault. A few of the scenes in Mighty Ducks II were shot in California.
4. Jingle All the Way (Rated PG)
Filmed in St. Paul, Edina, Bloomington, Falcon Heights, and Minneapolis.
5. Iron Will (Rated PG)
Filmed in Brookston, Duluth, Cloquet, Kerrick, Lutsen, and Two Harbors. A few scenes were also filmed in Montana and northern Wisconsin.
6. The Bishop’s Wife (Not rated)
Filmed in Minneapolis and in California at MGM Studios. The scene below was filmed in Loring Park in Minneapolis.
7. Love Always, Santa (TV-G, Hallmark Channel)
Filmed in Northfield, Minnesota.
8. Little Big League (Rated PG)
Filmed in Shakopee, Edina, St. Paul, and Minneapolis. Also features U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago, Yankee Stadium in New York, and Fenway Park in Massachusetts.
9. Airport (Rated G, but has adult themes. May not be suitable for children.)
Filmed at the Minneapolis – St. Paul International Airport and Universal Studios in California.
10. Ice Castles (Rated PG)
Filmed in St. Paul, Minneapolis, South Bloomington, and Waverly, Minnesota. Some scenes also filmed in Colorado.
I hope you enjoy your Christmas break and time off with your family!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!